Thursday, April 4, 2013

Observations: My Patriotic Duty To Be Uninterested In Soccer



Soccer  is EXTREMELY popular here in Turkey. People get Super Bowl hype for every single match and I'm not exaggerating. Whenever an Istanbul team wins, you hear horns honking, drunk people running and screaming in the streets, people shooting off celebratory guns shots -- It reminds me of how Philly went crazy when the Phillies won the World Series.  Basically, people act a damn fool. I don't even go outside when there's a game on.

Last night, though, I went to a friend of a friend's house to watch the Galatasary and Real Madrid match -- Which is like a rivalry of epic proportions. Like Cowboys vs Eagles, Ja Rule vs 50 Cent, Haitian vs Dominicans big. Now if you know me then you know that I'm not the biggest sports fan in the world and out of all the sports, I definitely couldn't give a rat's ass about soccer but whatever -- When in Rome, right?  

So there was a room full of Galatasaray fans and one fool in there going mad hard for Real Madrid. I only call him a fool because Turks are OD emotional when it comes to soccer so you can't just be trash talking all crazy when a match is on. But sure as shit, this guy was going in and everybody in room was giving him the nastiest stink eye you could ever imagine. One guy even asked my friend why she brought him and later on we had to take him aside and tell him to tone it down or else we weren't gonna make it out alive.

Real Madrid wins the match and what followed was quite possibly the saddest loss I've ever witnessed. When the game was over, everyone in the picture above got up from their seats, literally did not say one word, put on their jackets, and left the house without even saying goodbye to each other or to the host.  Might as well have been a scene from a Charlie Chaplin film cause wasn't NOBODY talking, bruh. The most pitiful of the pitiful, I tell you. 

But if you're anything like me (and by that, I mean a stereotypical American) you're probably thinking things like, "Why get your panties in a bunch over a soccer game?" and, "Isn't soccer a game for 8-13 years old girls who don't have the skills to play basketball?  Yeah. I personally don't get it, either.  

All I really know is this -- I refuse to call this game football. Its one of my non-negotiables. It is my patriotic duty as an American citizen not only call it "soccer"  but to also to remain completely uninterested by any means necessary.




No comments:

Post a Comment