Monday, April 15, 2013

Republic of Close Talkers


I hate people being all up in my face and personal area and here, there is a clear difference between the amount of personal space allotted in American culture and the amount allotted in Turkish culture. Basically, you don't get any personal space in this culture. If the bus is full of empty seats (which is rare) and you sit by yourself, someone is sure to sit next to you even if there are 10 other open seats. Every greeting is a hug (and not the little pitter patter, butt out hugs, or side, one arm hugs) but a full on hug and two kisses on the cheek. 

All those things mentioned above don't really bother me, unless I'm in a grumpy mood. However, the one thing that gets to me the most is the abundance of Close Talkers. Turkey is a nation full of close talkers. 

I was walking down the street the other day and one of my students saw me and approached me and, no lie, I almost pulled one of these. 


I wanted so badly to ask him remove himself  from my area but I didn't want to be rude cause talking that close to someone here is perfectly normal. I just can't take it though. And can you imagine in the summer time having someone that close to your face? Oh my God. 

I don't want to discuss it any further, its upsetting me. 

Until next time, folks. 

1 comment:

  1. Lol, I completely understand. I require a sufficient buffer of personal space at all times.

    ReplyDelete