Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A Few Things I Learned Since Coming To Istanbul

Tomorrow it will have been a month since leaving America and moving to Istanbul. I don't know what it feels like to yall but it definitely feels like longer but whatever. Anyway, I've learned a few things during my short time thus far and in the spirit of my 1 month stay I figured I would share with you folks. 

Let the sharing commence...

1. TURKISH HOSPITALITY SHITS ON SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY 

No diss to all you country bumpkins but your particular brand of hospitality may be nice but it doesn't compare to what I've experienced here. If you are a guest, you are treated with the most respect, warmth, and compassion. It really is a way of life for them. Whenever I am in the school cafe, I never pay for my tea, coffee, or snacks. Students have taken me out for coffee and dinner and insisted that I not pay for anything. I've had my cabs paid for, been given gifts, and had students make my worksheet copies in the office. I'll probably get fat because my students are constantly offering me their food and if I decline, they simply keep on insisting so I eat out of obligation. Shop owners also offer me tea and snacks if I stay in their store for more than 10 minutes. Its to the point where you feel guilty and you're taking advantage but its normal to them and actually quite rude if you do not accept. Its is so OD here that southern hospitality almost makes a mockery of it. I'm telling you, they're treating me like their Nubian Queen --

 Matter of fact, yall can just call me Queen Tiye from here on out.

2. BURGER KING REIGNS SUPREME 


Eff what ya heard about McDonald's being the most popular fast food joint cause that simply isnt the case here in Istanbul. Real talk, I've never seen more Burger Kings in my life -- and people actually enjoying it too. Burger King only came to Turkey in 1995 but by the early 2000s already had more restaurants than McDonald's.  Now McD's only has around 180 and BK has over 300 (only second to the US in the amount of restaurants). If you ask the Turks which one they prefer, they are most likely going to tell you BK. Apparently, the meat is tastier because they cook on grill that Turkish people are used to and at the moment they are more accessible since there are more restaurants open. 

Wtf right? 

3. I TOOK AMERICA'S "MELTING POT" FOR GRANTED

From what I've noticed, Turkey is pretty much culturally homogeneous with the exception of the Kurds. The country is also 99.8% Muslim. I never really took the time to appreciate the cultural diversity in America until I came here and one area where I feel it most is when I'm eating. Son. I eat the same damn tavuk doner (a sort of chicken sandwich) everyday man. Even when I switch it up, the food is still cooked in a similar style with similar spices. Turkish people also aren't big on food from other cultures so its hard to find a restaurant with something different. I miss having the option of Thai, Indian, Mexican, Italian, or Chinese food. You just can't get that here and it breaks my little food loving heart. When I go home its about to be on and poppin cause your girl gonna go on a culinary world tour.  

4. TURKISH ETHNOCENTRICITY GOES HARD


Until I came here, I used to think that Americans had to be the most ethnocentric people in the word but dawg... In some cases Turkish people be on some next shit. One time I was trying to have a discussion with my students on different kinds of foods, and my students kept saying they only liked Turkish food. So I asked them if they tried any other kind of food and they basically replied "No" because they claimed that they already knew that Turkish food was the best and there's no need to try anything else. Another time I was trying to ask a class where they wanted to go and they said they didn't need to go anywhere else because Turkey is the best. Most of my students couldn't even tell you where the West Indies were --I tried to explain that once too and it was a lost cause. No lie, their ethnocentric shit is can be outrageous. 

5. RACE RELATIONS? ... THEY NOT ABOUT THAT LIFE



Simply put, the Turks don't have the same history of Black vs. White as much of the rest of the world does. Also, oddly enough, it seems as if many of the negative stereotypes have not reached this part of the world. Its strange to say, but I really don't think Turks look much at the color of your skin. From conversations I've had with students, this is what seems to be the case. Most of my students know very little or nothing about slavery or American Civil Rights or any of that. Many of my students have flat out told me that they always though black and white people in America have always been equally-- Cray, cray. I almost feel uncomfortable with the thought that people aren't looking at my race. 
 That just shows you, though, how fucked our society has made our minds.

How warped does my brain have to be in feel slightly uneasy in a space where race isn't such a big deal?

6. IF YOU'RE LOOKIN FOR CHIVALRY, ITS HERE IN TURKEY

Gonna keep this one short and sweet. Turkish men are gentlemen.  I'm talking, paying for everything, holding doors, the whole ladies first rule, all of that  So to all you ladies who like to moan and groan all over Twitter about chivalry being dead, get off the computer and go buy yourself a plane ticket to Turkey so we don't have to hear it no more. BYE

As of now, that's all I can think of. Sorry if you were looking for some deep, self reflective lessons but it just aint happening in this post. Maybe by next month or by the time I leave I'll have that Oprah Winfrey couch interview material ready for you but right now just let me be great with the basics. 


2 comments: