Saturday, February 23, 2013

I Get Around

WHEW. So a lot has happened today. I was finally able to make it out of my neighborhood and venture into other parts of Istanbul. Today was a lesson in how to travel around the city. And let me tell you my friends, this makes SEPTA and the NYC Metro look like the "Basic Bitches" of public transportation -- They simply ain't shit compared to whats going on over here. There are so many ways of getting around this city its overwhelming.

Allow me to walk you through this...

FIRST THINGS FIRST.


First problem that needs to be solved is simply trying to navigate your way to the Metro station. It is apparent to me that people in Istanbul don't believe in street signs -- or pedestrian cross walks, or safe driving skills, or just general traffic regulation but whatever that's another story. So I found my way, and had to cop me an Istanbulkart which is basically a Metro card and is pictured above.

#THEULTIMATESTRUGGLE

Because I only know how to count to five in Turkish and I only had 50 TL bill (Turkish Lira) on me and there was no way in Hell I was gonna put 50 on that card... Your girl just wanted some change back. After sometime of unsuccessful communication, the frustrated people who were waiting behind me ended up helping a sister out. Struggle mission completed. I was all set to gallivant across the city to my leisure. So here we go.  


DOLMUŞ


The Dolmuş, meaning "Apparently Stuffed," is by far the most triflin form of transportation I've ever been on.  They are overcrowded little mini buses that run throughout the city and are only allowed to follow a certain route, similar to the Owl Loop for all you Temple Students. The reason why I find this experience particularly terrifying is A.) The lack of actual, physical seats. No lie, there's only like 5 seats on that entire bus -- Thats just so highly unacceptable, its not even funny and B.) The way you pay the driver -- People in the back of the bus ask you to pass their money up to the driver. The driver has a straw basket full of coins and bills, he digs the change out of the basket while driving, and you have to pass the money back down like an assembly line. 

Just absolutely ghetto as all hell.
I'm never riding this tacky ass bus again. 


 METROBUS


The Metro Bus is a normal bus. Nothing like the Dolmuş, thank you Jesus, praise the Lord. Its clean, its efficient, there's no passing anybody else's crusty ass money up to the driver... Just a simple swipe of your Istanbulkart and you're good to go. However, I did take the wrong bus coming home from work but I quickly found my way back. No biggie. I got this.


METRO


The metro is the subway in Istanbul. My neighborhood station is the Atakoy-Sirinevler stop. The train reminds me of the Broad Street Line in Philly with all the orange. Like the metro bus, it is simple efficient and clean. Again, just swipe your card and go. 

TRAM


The tram is the upgraded version of the Philly trolley system. Its an above-ground light rail. This one is the T1 which take you through the old city and to most of the famous historical sites located in the Sultanahmet area. You can catch one of these bad boys in the middle of the street or transfer from the metro. 

SEA FERRY


I stole this pic from Wikipedia because I haven't ridden it yet. But you get the point. The sea ferries takes you back and forth from the European and Asian sides of the city. 


SEA BUS



Stole this jawn too. Haven't been to the Asian side of things yet but I'll let ya'll know when I do.

All these modes of transportation are city operated. Thus far, it seems as if Istanbul pretty much has their shit together when it comes to moving people around the city efficiently and affordably.  Excluding the Dolmuş -- I didn't leave the hood in Philly, fly halfway across the world just so I can ride on some ignorant ass bus around town. 








2 comments: